Getting tested for COVID-19
If you have symptoms, get a test as soon as possible. Book a visit to a test site to have the test today. Test sites are open 7 days a week. Order a home test kit if you cannot get to a test site.
Who can get a free test
You can only get a free NHS test if at least one of the following applies:
- you have a high temperature
- you have a new, continuous cough
- you’ve lost your sense of smell or taste or it’s changed
- you’ve been asked to by a local council
- you’re taking part in a government pilot project
You can also get a test for someone you live with if they have symptoms.
If you’re going into hospital
You may need to get tested if you’re due to have surgery or a procedure.
The hospital will arrange this for you. Contact your hospital department if you have any questions.
Who cannot get a free test
You cannot get a free NHS test unless you have symptoms, have been asked to by your local council live in England and have been told to by your hospital, or are taking part in a government pilot project.
This applies even if:
- you live with someone who has coronavirus
- you’ve had close contact with someone who has coronavirus
- you’ve come to the UK from a high risk country
- you’re planning to leave the country
- your employer or school has asked you to get a test
INDEX - Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Vaccination Information
- Children & Coronavirus
- Covid-19 Research Trials
- Covid-19 Signposting
- Foreign language coronavirus videos
- Getting a test
- Helplines and Advice
- Information for Vulnerable / High Risk Patients
- Latest Updates
- Local Service Directory
- Practice Changes
- Response Transparency Notice
- Sickness and Self Isolation
- Sirona care contact
- Telephone and Video Consultations
- The Right Place for Medical Care
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.